I went to the Raleigh Flea Market a few weeks ago and picked up two dressers. One was a tall dresser and the other was lower and wider dresser. I started working on the tall dresser first. I decided to do something different and go a little out of my comfort zone in regards to design. Here is the dresser before I started working on it.
It was in good condition and I didn’t have to fix anything on it. I sanded the top and “frame” of the dresser with 100 grit sandpaper, just enough to prep it for paint. There was some chipping paint that I wanted to get smooth before painting. Here is a close up of the top before sanding.
I decided to paint the top and “frame” of the dresser a medium grey color and stain the drawers and knobs. So, I removed the knobs and sanded the drawer fronts down. I started with 80 grit sandpaper, followed by 100 grit and finished it with 120 grit sandpaper. This left the fronts nice and smooth, ready for stain. I decided to get new wooden knobs instead of sanding these down. Sometimes its worth spending a little money when it saves you valuable time.
The dresser was ready for paint and stain. I used a custom mix of General Finishes Milk Paint in Antique White and Queenstown Gray. I applied two coats for good coverage and I chose not to distress this dresser. For the drawer fronts, I chose Special Walnut stain. This is a nice combination because the paint and the stain have similar tones.
I was really happy with the results when I took a chance on this dresser. Sometimes you need to get out of your comfort zone and try something new…it pays off.
Share in the comments below how you have gotten out of your comfort zone lately!